Jeev to cut down on Asian tours




Jeev Milkha Singh said he would cut down his Asian Tour appearances next year to sustain peak fitness and avoid fatigue.

The Chandigarh golfer, who capped a memorable season comprising four titles with the Asian Tour Order of Merit crown, said fitness would be the key to his aim of securing a Major.

"I have already said that my focus is winning a Major next season. In my next season, I would play 12 tournaments in the US, three in Japan -- two of which as defending champions, rest would mostly be in Europe as I would cut down on Asian Tour participation," he said on the sidelines of the launch of PGTI's BILT Open, where he would play before heading for a three-week break.

"Overall I would play for 32 weeks next season. I have been playing a lot of tournaments and every year it comes to about 37 weeks on the road. I plan to lessen the workload next year because injuries end up pushing you back," he added.

"I ended tied ninth at the PGA Championship this year, so I have got the game, it's just a question of mindset and fitness. I have to be patient and give my 100 per cent to every shot that I play." The rigours of a gruelling but rewarding season, have, however, taken a toll on Jeev's right ankle. The 34-year-old said the three-week break would be enough to heal the injury.

"My right ankle is in terrible shape. So, I have to get it right before the next season starts. Right now it's like if I run for a mile, I can't walk because the ankle hurts badly. I will start cycling and I have also picked up some special exercises to sustain a good level of fitness. Game wise, I think I am doing fine and don't need work on anything," Jeev said. "So less paranthas and more exercise now," he laughed.

Of the four titles he won this year, Jeev said he considered the Singapore Open his best effort because of the intimidating field that comprised top players like Phil Mickelsen and Ernie Els.

"I would rate Singapore Open as my best win this year because of the depth of the field. Being in the same group as Padraig (Harrington)... Then Ernie was also there and so was Phil. Winning there was quite special," he said.

"Overall, it was the best season of my career. Golfing gods were kind to me. I would say somebody was looking after me up there," he said, looking back at a professionally brilliant year.

On the personal front, Jeev had to deal with the trauma of losing his first child after his wife Kudrat suffered a miscarriage while he played and won a Japan Tour title.

"It was all god's will. I can't fight fate," he said philosophically.

News Sport