Totti optmistic about chances



Francesco Totti is bidding to be fit to face Arsenal in the Champions League despite being ruled out for two months.

Writing in the Corriere dello Sport newspaper, the 32-year-old hit back at the pessimists who have predicted an even longer lay-off for the injury-prone striker and promised to prove them wrong by returning to action sooner than expected.

"I had another test yesterday which confirmed the muscular tear," he explained.

"I will have to miss the first few games of 2009, but I have already studied a programme of work with my physiotherapist to get back as soon as possible.

"I am confident and the doctors have explained to me that it is not a serious tear.

"I don't think I will miss many games. It hurts to be out, particularly when I was rediscovering my best form."

Totti's return to the Giallorossi had sparked their recent revival and, with five goals in the last eight Serie A games, was even being linked with a return to the Italy national team despite retiring two years ago following the World Cup triumph.

His importance to the club was felt last weekend when they went down 3-2 at Catania as he picked up this latest injury.

But he remains convinced Roma can put that defeat behind them and make a more positive start to 2009, even if he will be watching on from the stands.

"The Catania game was just a blip - we did not go onto the field with the right attitude," he said.

"We will not go looking for any excuses and we will think about the restart of the league when we have to start again with the same spirit we have shown over the last two months.

"This slip-up complicates our plans of getting back in the frame for a place in the Champions League, but I remain convinced that we can do it."

Roma face Arsenal in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on February 24, by which time Totti hopes to have already picked up enough match practice to be in top condition.

"I am optimistic," he said.

News Sport